Feel free to visit my other blog, Curly Cosmetics! It's about makeup, skincare, and more. Also, if you're on a computer, click below to feed the fish. :)

Search Posts

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Product Reviews: DevaCurl

(Just FYI: I'm in the progress of editing this post.)
Hi there! Welcome to Carefree Curls.
In this post, I will be reviewing the following products (all DevaCurl):


Click any of the names above for a link to that product, or click the names on the reviews below.

First off, if you haven't tried their products before but you want to try some of them out, I suggest looking at some of their sets. That way, you get to try multiple items. I suggest this one: [link]




Price: $20 for 12 oz

Ingredients: Water (Aqua, Eau), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Glycol Distearate, Cetyl Esters, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Propylene Glycol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance (Parfum)

I love this conditioner. I use it for my regular conditioner as well as my leave-in, and I also use it when I do a deep treatment. I love the smell of it, but the scent could certainly be an annoyance for some others. This conditioner leaves my hair looking shiny and feeling moisturized, but it has never weighed down my hair! Over all, it's a nicely balanced conditioner.

Pros: 

-Glides easily through hair
-Doesn't weigh down hair
-Moisturizes nicely & leaves my hair feeling soft & looking great
-Contains no sulfates, silicones, parabens, mineral oil, paraffin, or phthalates in it
-It has a very pleasant texture

Cons:

-The scent is strong. If you don't like the scent of it, this would be a pretty big con

I would absolutely recommend One Condition to anybody who's willing to spend a bit more for a nice conditioner & will probably re-buy every now-and-then as a splurge. :)


DevaCurl No-Poo


Price: $20 for 12 oz

Ingredients: Water (Aqua, Eau), Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Behentrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-7, Laureth-4, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Propylene Glycol, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Triticum Aestivum (Wheat) Peptide, Avena Sativa (Oat) Peptide, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Peptide, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Menthol, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance (Parfum)


Dorky name aside, this product is a nice, solid co-wash. However, I don't really think it's worth the price; it doesn't impress me that much. I mean, sure, it cleans my hair w/out stripping it, but the results aren't that much better than what you'd get with another much cheaper co-wash. Also, I feel like I had to use quite a bit of product per use with this stuff.

Pros:

-It has no sulfates, silicones, parabens, mineral oil, paraffin, or phthalates in it.
-It cleanses nicely.
-It doesn't strip my hair.

Cons:

-Again, the scent in this product is pretty strong. Depending on whether or not you like the scent, this could be an issue.
-It didn't spread as nicely as the condish.
-I had to use more product per use than I would've liked.

Would I recommend this product? Not really; I likely won't be re-buying.


Price: $20 for 12 oz

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), VP/VA Copolymer, Polyquaternium-7, Glycerin, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Tricicum Aestivum (Wheat) Peptide, Avena Sativa (Oat) Peptide, Glycine Soja (Soy) Peptide, Melissa Officinalis (Balm Mint) Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricia), Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium (Yarrow) Extract, DMDM Hydantoin, Aminomethyl Propanol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Fragrance (Parfum)


I'm not going to say much about this gel because it simply didn't fit my hair type. I needed a stronger gel, so I later tried the Ultra Defining Gel (see review below) which worked much better for me. This just didn't do anything for me. No definition, no hold.. It felt like I had no product in my hair. If you need a really light gel, this would probably be fine for you. I just needed something stronger.
So, I would suggest this gel for somebody with hair that doesn't need much hold.



Price: $20 for 12 oz

Ingredients: Water (Aqua, Eau), VP/VA Copolymer, Glycerin, Polyquaternium-7, Polysorbate 20, Triticum Aestivum (Wheat) Peptide, Avena Sativa (Oat) Peptide, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Peptide, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Aminomethyl Propanol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Fragrance (Parfum).


Nice! This gel works great for me. It holds pretty well throughout the day & tames my frizz decently enough. If you have curls that get weighed down easily but also need some extra hold, this is a great gel. It can take a few tries to figure out how much product you need; if your hair gets that "crunchy" feeling, don't freak out and shun the product! This is a normal gel thing! As the hair dries, the gel forms a cast on the hair to keep it in its form with minimum frizz. When your hair is fully dry, you scrunch your hair to "scrunch out the crunch". After that, your hair should look a lot better. (Don't confuse the gel crunch with straw-like hair, which is a sign that your hair needs less protein and/or more moisture.) also, remember not to touch your hair until it's completely dried after you put it in & scrunch! Otherwise, you could end up with frizz.

Pros:

-Has nice hold
-Deals with frizz decently enough
-Styles nicely

Cons:

-It doesn't define as much as I would like it to; it needs to be paired with something else for better definition.

Would I recommend this product? Yes, I would recommend it to anybody with hair that needs hold but tends to get weighed down by products.


Price:

Ingredients: Water (Aqua, Eau), Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Behentrimonium Chloride, Tapioca Starch, Cetrimonium Chloride, PPG-3 Benzyl Ether Myristate, Laureth-4, Ethyl Macadamiate, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Protein, Panthenol, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Lauryldimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Lauryldimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Propylene Glycol, Ceteareth-20, Disodium EDTA, Aminomethyl Propanol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance (Parfum).

Meh. This product is okay. Too expensive for what you get, in my opinion. It works nicely if you just have a few certain curls that you need more definition for, though. I just rub a small amount of the product between my fingers & slide them down a curl that needs definition.

Pros:

It defines nicely & smells yummy ;)

Cons:

It's expensive! It feels gross in my hair if I use too much of it, so I only use it for individual curls that need defining.

Would I recommend this product? Nah. I may just not have the right hair type for it.




Price: $9 for 3 oz.

Kind of useless. Doesn't do anything for me.

Pros:

It's an okay refresher.

Cons:

It doesn't really help with frizz, and it doesn't really do anything for me. It just adds a product-y feeling to my hair.

I probably wouldn't recommend this one.



Price: $19.95 for 8 oz

Ingredients: Water (Aqua, Eau), VP/VA Copolymer, Glycerin, Polysorbate 20, PEG-10 Sunflower Glycerides, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Propylene Glycol, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA, Aminomethyl Propanol, Carbomer, Fragrance (Parfum).

I actually really like this stuff! More than I expected to! I haven't tried using it alone; I usually scrunch in gel first, and then spray some extra of this over it to make sure I got gel evenly distributed throughout my hair.

Pros:
It's very nice to have a spray gel because it helps to distribute the product more evenly without having to rake it through your hair & mess up the curl pattern. This stuff works just like the other gel (see review for that gel above).

Cons:
it says you can spray it on dry hair, but it feels kinda sticky & gets frizzy when I do that.

Would I recommend this product? Sure! I like it.

--

To sum it all up: The DevaCurl line is pretty good. I really, really love the packaging and design. ;) I also love the fact that they keep a lot of the nasty ingredients like sulfates and silicones out of their products. It's a great place to begin if you don't mind spending a little extra! Their products have a nice, luxurious feel to them; I've certainly enjoyed using them & recommend that you try them out if you want to splurge. :)

I also highly suggest that you take a look at the curly girl handbook, written by Lorraine Massey, the creator of the DevaCurl line. Click here to see the book!

Have you used a DevaCurl product before? If so, feel free to leave a comment & let me know what you think!

-CK




4 comments:

  1. Although I LOVE The Curly Girl Handbook, I've actually never tried Deva products- they just seem like too much money! :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they're pretty expensive; that's why I'm switching to other stuff as I run out of the DevaCurl products. I may stick with the gel, though. But yeah, I just chose to start w/ the DevaCurl stuff because I knew it was definitely CG friendly, so I figured it'd be a good place to start :)

      Delete
    2. I just recently got my hands on the DevaCare One Condition and Light Defining Gel! I have my reservations though, because I just realized I should probably have gotten the Ultra. But I have my receipt, so I will try it out and if it's a bust, my sis and I are going back to Ulta tomorrow anyway, so I can swap it for the other!

      I have to use the DevaCare conditioner because the DevaCurl isn't moisturizing enough for my super dry hair (and I like the orangey scent). But super cool that you got to try the whole DevaCurl line!

      Delete
    3. Haha yeah I actually just read your post a minute ago! :)

      The light gel may work great for you; I just needed a stronger hold because my curls need that extra support. :)

      You'll have to post a review of the products once you've used them some! I'm curious to hear how they work out for you. Have you used the devacurl OneC before or you just like the scent of the other better?

      Yeah I started out with the travel kit (OneC, no-poo, set it free, & light gel, all 3 oz) and then when I ran out of condish from that I got another bigger set since I knew I liked the product line. That one had an 8 oz OneC, no-poo, & ultra gel, & a 3 oz of styling cream & spray gel. So that's why I've tried so many of their products lol. I like getting sets because it's a good way to try several products at once. :)

      After my mishap with the as I am cowash, I caved & bought a big bottle of OneC (because I had just run out of the 8 oz) to give my hair some stability for awhile until it bounces back to life. I'm still a newbie curly girl, so I don't want to prolong my progress here in the beginning lol.

      Delete