Feel free to visit my other blog, Curly Cosmetics! It's about makeup, skincare, and more. Also, if you're on a computer, click below to feed the fish. :)

Search Posts

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Top 8 Hair Oils

Hi there! Welcome to carefree curls. :)

Putting oils in your hair can be a great way to moisturize and add shine to your hair if used correctly. I'd like to list a few of the most popular oils (starting with a few that I personally love)!

Argan Oil


Oh my gosh this stuff is amazing. It adds shine, is easily absorbed so it doesn't weigh down the hair too much, and you barely need any of it (literally only 3-4 drops for my whole head of hair, and I have a lot of hair). I like to smooth the frizzy parts of my hair with this. My hair feels so much happier when I'm using Argan oil. ;) You can use it for DT's or to style your hair with. The only drawback with Argan oil is that it's pretty expensive (usually around $15-20 for 4 oz). However, it lasts a long time because a little really does go a long way!

Just so you know, when you're looking for Argan oil, DO NOT just go grab whatever product you see that looks like oil and says "Argan oil" on it. You want to look at the ingredients. Most "Argan oils"
have silicones and all sorts of other stuff in them. The best thing to do when looking for Argan oil is
find one that's cold-pressed and 100% Argan oil. Remember, always check the ingredients!


Olive Oil (extra virgin)


Okay, I admit, when I first heard of putting olive oil in my hair, I was a little grossed out. I eat it all the time because I live in an area with Italian food all around me! But on my hair? Ew. After doing more reading, though, I became more and more curious about what effects EVOO would have on my hair, and I decided to try it out. It works beautifully for deep treatments (like this one!) since it's a very moisturizing, heavy oil. I was pleasantly surprised! It also helps to seal in moisture.


Coconut Oil (extra virgin)


This is another oil that works beautifully for DT's like the one mentioned above. It's lighter than olive oil, but I wouldn't call it a light oil. It's a penetrating oil that gets moisture deep into your hair. :) My hair seems to really enjoy coconut oil.


(Those are the only oils I've been able to try on their own so far, so I may not have as much to say about the ones I'm about to mention. I'd like to eventually try all of them, though.)


Jojoba Oil


This is an oil that closely matches the oil (sebum) that your head produces; jojoba oil is pretty similar to Argan oil, but a bit cheaper and lighter. Since it closely matches the oils on your scalp, it can help prevent your scalp from overproducing oils and causing greasy hair. It's moisturizing, adds shine, and isn't a heavy oil, so it can be used for styling as well.


Grapeseed Oil


This is a light, moisturizing oil that can be used as a heat protectant when blow-drying, flat-ironing, or curling w/ a curling iron. It can strengthen hair & help with dry scalp issues.


Avocado Oil


This oil helps your hair grow, and it's very moisturizing.


Sweet Almond Oil


This is another good oil for hair that can be a good sealant to keep in moisture. Keep in mind that sweet almond oil is different than just almond oil!


Castor Oil


This oil is a heavier oil (which may be better for tighter coils) that helps to seal in moisture and add thickness to hair.


Those are all some great oils for your hair! Also, I didn't even talk about essential oils, which are also popular to use on hair. I still have no experience in the world of essential oils, so I decided not to talk about that in this post. Keep in mind that your hair might love some oils but hate others. For instance, I suspect that my hair strongly dislikes castor oil, but it obviously loves Argan oil. Think of it as though your hair has tastebuds. ;) It likes the flavor of some things, but not others! If you use any other oils, comment & I may them to the list! :) Hope you enjoyed this post.

-CK

No comments:

Post a Comment