Feel free to visit my other blog, Curly Cosmetics! It's about makeup, skincare, and more. Also, if you're on a computer, click below to feed the fish. :)

Search Posts

Friday, July 17, 2015

Overnight Deep Treatment

Hi there! Welcome to Carefree Curls.

     Every now-and-then when I feel like my curls need an extra boost of moisture, I like to do an easy DIY overnight deep treatment. This is a great thing to do if your hair loves moisture! ;)  NOTE: If your hair is easily over-moisturized, just don't do it overnight.

I don't use any very special ingredients for my DT, and it really does work! The next morning, I take a shower & wash it out, and I end up with soft, very shiny curls. <3


What you'll need (you can use whatever you want, really; this is just what I usually use):

  • EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
  • Coconut oil
  • Conditioner of your choice
  • Shower/processing cap (I ordered these from amazon)


(Just FYI: my hair is medium/high porosity & medium texture)
     Before I go to sleep, I dampen my hair by misting it with water. Once it's wet (not to the point of dripping wet, just wet enough so that none of the hair is dry), I take some of my regular conditioner (currently DevaCurl One Condition) and evenly smooth it through my hair. I gently comb through my hair with a wide-tooth comb to evenly distribute the product (this is optional as long as the conditioner is evenly distributed).
     After this, I take some EVOO and rub it in the palm of my hand. Then, I rake it through my hair until it's evenly distributed. (Note - this may feel a little weird and, obviously, oily.) Once I've done that, I take some coconut oil (You can warm it up in the microwave for a few seconds to melt it if you want to, but it isn't really necessary. If you do warm it up, make sure it isn't too hot when you put it on your hair) and warm it up by putting some in my palm & rubbing my hands together. Then, I evenly distribute that through my hair, and I'm all done! :)
     Side-note; I just got some argan oil which I will probably be adding to this routine. You can add or remove whatever you like! Keep in mind that some hair doesn't seem to like coconut oil (I think it's usually hair that's protein sensitive). If you're not sure about it, you can always test it out on a small section of hair.

     When I'm finished with all of that, I flip my hair over and sort of twist it into a really loose bun just so it'll fit in the plastic processing cap, and I squeeze all of it into the cap. Sometimes I secure the cap with a few bobby pins before I go to sleep. If you're worried about getting oil on your pillow, I suggest putting a towel over the pillow :)

In the morning, I wake up and shower as usual, making sure to use my cleanser that day to ensure that I get rid of the excess oils & not end up with oily hair. I style as usual, and viola! Shiny, perky curls! ;)

This may not work for everybody, but it works fantastically for me. Try it out if your hair needs more moisture!

-CK

2 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much for this! I love to swim in the summer and the chlorine makes my hair VERY dry and frizzy, I've tried everything from those expensive bottles of conditioner that promise to moisturize your hair to using homemade yogurt, but nothing works as well as this! I followed the instructions using my usual conditioner and argan oil, left it on overnight and after I rinsed my hair it was soft, shiny, and moisturized like never before! I have been doing this treatment twice a week and my hair has never been better! Thanks again CK!

    -Nazira03

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I love Argan oil! I'm glad to hear that this has been working so well for you :)

      Delete