Feel free to visit my other blog, Curly Cosmetics! It's about makeup, skincare, and more. Also, if you're on a computer, click below to feed the fish. :)

Search Posts

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Deva Cut!

Hi! Welcome to Carefree Curls. :)
A couple of days ago, as you may know, I got my very first deva cut! (My apologies for not posting this yesterday.)

You may be wondering...

What's a deva cut?

Well, a deva cut is a special kind of cut for curly/coily/wavy haired people where the stylist has been trained/approved by the people at DevaCurl. You can find a Deva stylist near you by using DevaCurl's "find a stylist" tool! Click here to try it. This is how I found my stylist. These stylists know how to cut curly hair and give great cuts for curly, wavy, or coily hair!

A deva cut is where the stylist cuts your hair while it's dry. They do this because, as you likely know, curly hair has spring to it! When you get a "regular" haircut & they cut it wet, once it'd dry, your hair will sit differently than it looked wet. This is why they cut it dry. Makes sense, right?


My Experience

Over all, my deva cut experience was alright. I didn't go to the Deva salon in NYC; I just chose to go to a local Deva-approved stylist. I like the way she cut my hair, but I didn't like the way she styled it. You see, when she styled it, she raked her fingers through my hair (eep!) which my hair is too weak to handle; it pulled out all of my curl and made my hair just slightly wavy. However, when I styled it myself the next day, my waves popped into loose curls! I'm really enjoying the cut.

Here are some before shots..

Add caption



Honestly, I love my hair long, but the last few inches of my hair could be pretty unpredictable. They were constantly getting tangled and were a lot more undefined than the top sections of my hair. This is why I cut off so much; I figured it was probably from heat damage and decided that it would be best to chop it off and have a fresh start. ;) Here's the after shots..





This is such a fun length. :D I haven't had it this short in a long time! Anyway, like I mentioned previously, I disliked the way the stylist styled my hair. She raked the product through my hair which pulled out my curls and made them undefined. However, I was pretty satisfied with the cut, and I figured it'd look a lot better after I styled it myself. Here are some shots from after I styled it..




I'd like to note that I ran out of my favorite gel and had to settle with using a mousse (which I don't normally do), so once I style it with a gel it may look a bit different. Still: I like the cut a lot more the way I styled it! I think the shorter length is helping the frizz from the last haircut (where the lady slid her scissors down my hair to "make it weigh less").

I'm pretty happy with how the cut looks. I think it'll be fun to play around with my new, short length (or, at least, it's short to me lol)! I do love long hair, so I'll probably grow it out eventually, but I'm enjoying this length for now. :)

Post a comment and let me know what you think! Have you ever gotten a Deva Cut?

-CK


P.S. remember that I'm doing a hair product giveaway in October! It's going to be awesome, so check back in October to see it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment